02 August, 2009

New job!

So a lot has been going on since I last posted!! My little cousin, Austin, is doing pretty good! He lost some weight after his birth (as expected), and he has almost gained it all back! :) Continue to keep him & his family in your prayers, but I am sure that he is going to be just fine.

I got a new job!! I am now a front desk agent at Hilton's Homewood Suites- Louisville East & I love it there! It is a lot more slow paced than the Doubletree which is a good thing & a bad thing. I miss having things to do all the time, but I do love the more relaxed setting & getting to know our extended stay guests. If you are ever looking for a hotel in Louisville then I recommend that you stay with us! All our rooms are suites with a kitchenette, bedroom, living room and bathroom. They are very spacious and we also have some great amenities. We serve a complimentary breakfast each morning & we also serve a complimentary Homewood Suites DINNER each Monday-Thursday. We also have people that will take your grocery list & go get all your groceries while you are away. We have an outdoor swimming pool, hot tub, and sport court as well as a 24 hr. business & fitness center! AND we have a laundry facility & complimentary guest passes to Urban Active fitness center. Here are a few pictures of my new home!!



Right now I am currently in Paducah, Ky. My great Aunt Betty died last week & her funeral was today. She had surgery last Friday and developed pneumonia afterwards, and she passed away on Wednesday, July 29. Alex drove up here to meet my family and attend the funeral with me, and for that I am very thankful. He is so precious, and it was actually the first time for him to meet most of my extended family! So that was great despite the circumstances. We are going to head back to Louisville tomorrow, and I can't wait to be home!

School starts in 22 days!! I have really been struggling with trying to figure out ways to get involved on campus. It would be SO EXTREMELY EASY for me to just go to school & then come home every day without making a ton of new friends or participating in activities. I saw so many people at Union do that, and from what I could tell, it made them feel left out and not a part of campus life. So to fix this problem, I have been looking on their website at the different clubs and activities that they have going on. I'm thinking about looking into their Big Brother/Big Sister program or some other community service organizations on campus. I also have come to realize that besides like 5 friends, I really don't know anybody at UofL that I could really say that I am close to. I really do want to meet some new friends, and even though it is a public school I know that I can be a light for Christ even in a setting that I am very unfamiliar with. It's not like this is my first year of college. I know what it's like, and I know who I am. I know what I want to get involved in, and I know the things that I want to stay away from. I was researching Greek life at UofL, and I was really impressed by some of the things I read. I had thought about going through rush at the closing of the school year, but I decided against it. I'm not sure why, but yesterday I registered because if I make just 1 good friend in the whole process (& I am sure that I will make many) then it is worth it to me. I have my true friends, but I know that there are many other girls, just like me, out there & I thought rush would be a good outlet to meet many of them & possibly join a sisterhood & make many friends! We'll see how it works out, and I am honestly just curious about Greek life at a public school vs. Greek life at a private one. UofL doesn't seem like very much of a "party school" like UK or some of the others I've heard about. Maybe I'm wrong, but I guess that's what I'll find out about in a few weeks! :) I really am excited about school, and I am trying to make a conscious effort to participate in campus life even though I won't actually be living on campus. I'm taking it as though I'm at college for the first time, and I can't wait to see what experiences it brings. Well, that is really all that is going on right now! I am off to sleep so that I am well rested to make the trip home tomorrow! Goodnight!

- b -

No comments: