27 June, 2008

Camping Disaster ... AGAIN!

So it seems like EVERY time that my family decides to go camping it rains. Not just the little drizzle kind of rain but a downpour!!!! Last time that I remember camping was in middle school with the Pattersons and my AWANA girls. It rained then, and we had to leave. Before my brother was born, my family used to go camping all the time, but the last time we did, EVERYTHING got ruined and my mom just left the tent there and declared she would never go again. We gave away our tent, and she remained true to her word. Since over a decade ago we have always gotten a floating cabin on the river or a little bunkhouse, but this summer my mom decided that since my brother is now 10 years old and has never been camping with the family in a tent, we would give it a shot.

Well yesterday evening after I got home from school, Alex, Danielle and I packed up his 2008 Dodge Ram and headed for Green River Lake in Campbellsville, KY. We got there in about two hours and checked in at the campsite. We started setting up camp and getting the tent put up. About 40 minutes into our camping experience, the clear blue sky was suddenly filled with dark, dark rain-clouds and the wind started blowing, and the rain came ... who would have guessed?

We stood there trying to think of WHAT to do. We decided on unpegging the tent, putting it under the picnic table so it wouldn't blow away, getting the rest of our things and then finding shelter until we could think of what to do. We got in the truck (soaked to the bone), wrapped ourselves in Colby Jack's little dog blanket and then drove to Sonic to wait out the storm. We went back after it stopped raining, rolled up the tent and put it in a big bag, and then drove 2 hours home with the heat blasting the whole way. WHAT a camping trip. This always happens. Come on, can't we ever get a break?

Here are some photos and a video of the lovely trip.











We are gonna give it a second shot on Sunday when the weather is supposed to be nice. We rented a boat, so we'll go out on that. PRAY for better weather ... I want SOME fun out of this trip!!

- b -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

may i just say GREEN RIVER IS AMAZING!!! if it rains call me i know some people yall could stay with lol....and the sonic in cville sucks...they are unfriendly and dont clean their bathrooms...try summer snow TONS better and cheaper! lol

Jessi said...

bad weather: one of the 200 million possible reasons i myself would never go camping.