12 January, 2009

Back to Class ... or ClassES!

I am home safe and sound back in my dorm at Union! I have been back for eight days, and they have been very restful, and I have gotten a lot accomplished. At Union, our spring semester does not begin until February so during the month of January, students have the option of taking one or two classes and getting them completed in 4 weeks instead of a whole semester. It is a really nice option to have, so this year is my first year officially taking J-term! I am taking one special education class called Survey of Exceptionalities. We meet on Tuesday and Thursday nights from 5-9. It seems like such a long period of time to meet, but it isn't that bad, and I have my laptop and Internet to play around on. This is the only special education class that I have to take, and it is really interesting, but I do not think I could major in it. I am going to stick with traditional elementary school teaching, and we'll see where it goes from there! I love the beginning of new semesters because everything is so unknown and exciting and fresh. I get all motivated and really learn a lot. I absolutely hate buying textbooks though. I had a friend that was in need of some quick cash so he sold me $125.00 in the bookstore gift cards for only $75.00. That was really nice, and today I purchased on of my teaching books. It is a book on how to teach language arts. I can't believe that in 2 years I am really going to be a teacher!! That is so crazy :). But I still have a few more books that I need to save up for. It is just really hard, and I have no money and am not getting the hours that I really need at my job. I am going to start tutoring this week, so hopefully that will bring in a little extra cash. I am also worried about funding for my mission trip to Guatemala. It is in March, so I don't have a lot more time to raise money! :/ Hopefully my parents are able to help me out if I am short at all until I can pay them back. I sure hope so. But other than financial worries, life is pretty good here at Union. It is lonely because none of my roommates have moved back yet, but my friends (well one is my roommate) Catherine and Indi have been over a few times, and we have been working on our scrapbooks together. They look awesome, and I am really enjoying them! :) Hope everyone is off to a great 2009! God bless!

- b -

1 comment:

Jessi said...

People from Bellarmine to Guatemala every year and it's a pretty big deal. I think you'll really like it. God will provide a way for you to pay for your trip. And when you go, be sure to take lots of pictures!